REWAISE is structured as nine living labs grouped into three main European hubs according to hydrological resources, needs and also geography and climate in order to demonstrate in real life, large scale operational environment the technological innovations to extract the value in, from and through water, contributing to a secure smart water supply for the European society. The three main regions selected are:
- – MEDITERRANEAN: (Levante, Salamanca, Extremadura)
- – ATLANTIC: (Galicia, Midlands, Northern – Cantabria/Asturias – region)
- – CONTINENTAL: (Poznan, Ostrava, Skaane)
The nine living labs address:
- – Different water sources: surface, rain, ground, sea, brackish water and municipal and industrial wastewater streams
- – Various water users: urban, rural, industrial, and agricultural
- – Different raw materials, nutrients, bioproducts and bioenergy recovery.
- – Five main governance models: Public Company, Delegated Public Management, Direct Private Management, Delegated Private Operation and Concession.
Six target follower sites will also be selected to implement the best practice observed, adding around 2.5 million people to the spectrum of different water situations.
REWAISE’s Nine Living Labs will contribute to:
- – Water-smart society: establishing a common framework of digital innovations to support alternative water management
- – New business models: REWAISE will create new market niches for alternative products obtained in the project and also attract investors to the innovative processes and services in water-smart activities
- – New governance methods: the project will redefine the governance models and provide recommendations that can remove unnecessary legal barriers to innovation in Europe
- – Social engagement: REWAISE’s nine Living Labs are based on an understanding of their social context toward water-smart communities