REWAISE will create a new “smart water ecosystem”, integrating an intelligent digital framework for decentralized water services and decision making, involving all relevant stakeholders to embrace the true value of water, reducing freshwater and energy use, and recovering nutrients and materials – resulting in a carbon free, sustainable hydrological cycle, in line with the concept of a resilient circular economy.
REWAISE reveals the full value of water for Europe, considering 3 key components of the economic and societal value generated by integral water cycles:
REWAISE will extract the value in water promoting its efficient use and reuse, also recovering energy and materials embedded in raw and used water streams. This will be achieved by:
- Reducing freshwater consumption by more than a 30% by making available alternative water sources
- Achieving a zero-carbon water cycle service and generating value form water nutrients and materials.
- Demonstrating innovative recovery of raw materials, minerals form water desalination and nutrients.
REWAISE will also generate value form water, boosting economic activities and service quality, and creating jobs and business around the water. To achieve so, REWAISW will:
- Engage the community in new economic models, creating recurrent activities and employment.
- Create new market niches and boosting business related to the new technologies.
- Develop a common digital framework to improve decision making by shared criteria.
The project will generate societal well-being and value through water. It will be accomplished by:
- Developing new governance models that favour policy and regulatory changes.
- Increasing sustainability, safety, security, and resilience of water systems, to recover from disruption.
- Demonstrating in 9 living labs across 3 European climate zones a carbon free smart water cycle
The 9 living labs, grouped in 3 hubs (Mediterranean, Atlantic and Continental) will demonstrate in real life the technological innovations business models and new governance methods that will contribute to a secure water supply for the European society. The concepts will be scalable and replicable to other municipalities and utilities inEurope and worldwide, fostering the transition towards resilient and smart water services.